CASE STUDY: RETAIL
Getting Serious About Waste Diversion
About Sleep Country
Sleep Country Canada is the leading specialty retailer of mattresses and sleep accessories in Canada. Founded in 1994 in Vancouver, British Columbia, the chain has since grown to over 235 stores across Canada. They are unparalleled in the industry for their commitment to providing Canadians with a better night’s sleep.
Since inception, Sleep Country Canada has been committed to the environment and so were seeking to improve their waste management at stores and distribution centers across Canada. They recognized a need for a mattress recycling program that would donate used mattresses to people in need and help aid the recycling of mattresses needing to be destroyed. Therefore, Sleep Country partnered with RecycleSmart as we offered tangible solutions that aligned with their goal of creating a sustainable environment for generations to come.
How We Helped
- Consolidated the management of waste and recycling for all retail sites and Distribution Centres across Canada
- Audited hundreds of contracts to ensure auto renewal clauses were tracked and eliminated
- Tendered and renegotiated services in each province with over 20 different hauling companies
- Installed Compactor monitor systems and wireless bin sensors to all high volume locations to gather data on future efficiencies
- Completed a volume analysis and compactor review for all Distribution Centres across Canada. 90% of the Distribution Centres required an adjustment to current container type or required a compactor to maximize efficiency
- Cost savings to date has equaled just under 19%and will exceed $85,000 a year for 2018
- Greater efficiency of container and compactor usage using sensor monitoring systems
- Consolidated all services and locations into one simplified monthly bill
- One Call Does It All for service issues including compactor and recycling baler repairs
Yearly cost savings